Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Pregnant in Paris - Week 10? Part I

At this point, I'm about 10 weeks pregnant on August 02, 2016.

So now the fun begins. I made an appointment with my Generaliste (family/general physician) for August 1. He wrote me a prescription to get my blood test and then gave me a phone number for Necker Hospital, which is a teaching children's hospital in the 15th (I live i the 7th). I was supposed to call for a Suivi Grossesse.

I went directly to the blood test lab afterwards but because I had eaten, they told me to come back the next day empty stomach and then gave me a two urine jars to put my urine in first thing in the morning. The whole day i was feeling sick and I could hardly drink water, so when I went to pee in the morning at 5:30am i thought this was my chance except i read that i was supposed to provide the urine sample within two hours so i went to the bathroom, took a couple more sips of water and went back to bed. At around 9am, I was hungry but i didnt want to pee, which posed a pretty big dilemma since i can't eat until i get my blood test done, and i can't go until I pee. I was also scared that drinking too much water would dilute my pee. Finally at 10am, everything was done and I headed to the lab.

The first sign that made me nervous was the nurses, when i was filling out the form, asked me if i'm pregnant. If i am there to do a pregnancy test, why would you ask me? After being asked twice, I started to wonder what's going on. When I went in to do the blood test, the guy asked me again. I was like, well I think im pregnant, but i thought that's what the blood test is for... and he looks at his form to double check and he says...no...there's no list for pregnancy test on the form....this just seems liek a standard test to me.

.....

I didnt know how to feel. He told me i can go back to my doctor again to ask for a prescription (ordonnance) for the pregnancy test. I asked him if i can just get it done now anyway, and he said it'll cost about 20 EUR. I said that's fine and then he told me he can charge me tomorrow so that if i get a prescription by today I can pay tomorrow (Since i have to do another blood test tomorrow called groupe faire or something - which i think is a blood type test).

I got home and tried to book an appointment with my doctor on doctolib.fr, but he's not available today or tomorrow. I called the office and the guy who picked up said he will see what he can do and he would call me back....I'm not expecting a call-back. I emailed my doctor as well, but no response yet. Oh well.

But this experience did make a nervous about what other stuff he's missing from our consultation. I had asked him if he was going to write an introduction letter to an obstetrician, but he said it wasn't necessary and recommended the Necker hospital for sick kids. After doing some research, i found out that although it is a teaching hospital, it's one of the top pediatrics hospital in france...so i guess thats a good thing?

Anyway, I got Moira to help me call, just in case i get the run around like i usually do cuz my french is not good and they booked me in for August 23rd - I'll be done my 12 weeks by then. I'm debating on going to see a sector 2 conventionne doctor and pay 100 EUR if i can could get some consultation before then. But most of the doctors are on vacation, so we'll see what happens.

No comments: