Monday, October 11, 2010

About my bags

There used to be a period in my life when I hoarded handbags. It's true. I even made a blog post about my handbag inventory back in the days. In August, I went back to Toronto to move most of my stuff out of the house because my family was moving. It turned out that this "moving" became the purging of all my childhood and young adult life memorabilia. Now that I am writing this blog I wish I took some photos to maintain the memories of the stuff I threw out...such as my gigantic collection of pencils (the ones that need sharpening)...I want to cry just thinking about it. Imagine this: I donated approximately 10 garbage bags worth of clothes, shoes, and bags, and stuffed animals, recycled 3 giant boxes of old paperwork and school work, and tossed out 3 garbage bags of STUFF.

But I digress: I wrote this post because I wanted to talk about my handbag fetish (or lack thereof?). I mean, I feel like my fetish is pretty mild in comparison to many people I have known or read about. When I was young, I had one wallet that I often kept losing and never believed in handbags. When I started going out with Mike, he said he would like me to carry handbags so he can put his stuff there and it was then I began buying a ton of bags. Within our two years and some months of relationship, I must have accumulated 15-20 bags.

About a year after we broke up, my horrible bag hoarding issue also broke up a little (partly because it was replaced by a horrible shoe hoarding problem that's outside the scope of this blog post (but do recall my shoe inventory blog post made a few years ago)). By breaking though, I mean that I stopped subscribing to forums that talk about handbags and I stopped paying attention to brand-name handbags. I didn't stop buying, I just bought less and stopped researching. By the time I was leaving for Boston, I had a gigantic Tupperware of handbags (comes up to my waist) plus a few sitting in my dresser, most of which I donated during the purge.

This weekend, Adam's family came to Boston and we spent literally all weekend shopping. At Wrentham Outlet, Adam bought me my second Kate Spade item: a cross-body bag for our trip to Europe in November. Honestly, I haven't been this excited since he got me my Salvatore Ferragamo Saffiano wallet since last year around this time. While admiring my new KS bag, I decided to clear out my collection to see what I have left (*silently cries*).

And here is the essence of my post: my remaining bag collection.

Salvatore Ferragamo:
  • Black Saffiano continental wallet <3

Kate Spade:
  • Cranberry Maddie <3
  • Black signature Noel Thomas Crossbody <3

Coach:
  • small white soho flap shoulder (FS)
  • small navy signature top handle pouch <3
  • large beige leather madison wristlet
  • purple signature wristlet
  • small red soho signature wallet

Miscellaneous:
  • three nine west bags (2 FS)
  • two puma bags (1 RT)
  • one old navy cross-body sling
  • one big aldo bag
  • one small aldo evening bag
  • one transit clutch
  • one guess shoulder bag
  • one buffalo back pack bag thing
  • one pacsun slouch hobo
  • one guess continental wallet (RT)
  • one no name oversized yellow synthetic bag I got from HK <3
  • one no name pink shoulder bag I got from TW (RT)

Total: 24ish
FS: I want to sell them
RT: Ready for retirement (donation)

At this point, if you are still reading, you probably have realized that I am totally quantity > quality. I don't own any real haute-couture bags like Chanel or Prada or BV or even Gucci and LV...mainly because I can't afford them. I've been threatening adam that i'm just gonna go out one day and buy a $3k bag, but I have yet the courage. I also keep asking myself whether i would actually keep a bag forever and use it regularly for the rest of my life to make that money worth it at my income level, and the answer has always been no.

Also note that I have rather large coat collection....

5 comments:

kingkao said...

as a note to your trip to europe -- watch out for pick pocketers there -- there are a lot. My aunt got her camera stolen while on a bus or something like that.

-- you sure did add a lot of crap bags near the bottom of the list -- lol

Lynn said...

LOL
i'm all about the crap bags! well okay not all about. but i love the bright yellow one from HK cuz it's so useful, and i use the pacsun one all the time cuz i havent found a good bag in that same shape.

One day, i'm gonna get a birkin...one day!!

As for Europe, that was the exact reason why I got the KS crossbody, so I can keep an eye on my bag in front of me to avoid pickpockets and robbers. Although I don't think the G11 camera is going to fit in there and thats the only camera we have atm :(

Jenny said...

Be proud, you have more Coach bag than I do! :D (granted, I have a lot more expensive bags...)

Speaking of which, there are some I want to get rid of too, like this Vivien Westwood bag I got in Japan and haven't used for 3 years. I however, can proudly say that the last brand name bag I bought was probably a year and half ago when my mom came to Italy. Oh wait, not true. I bought a Kate Spade from Orlando in May (but it was like $120). In any case, I've become more addicted to brand name shoes now, ever since my Jimmy Choo.. urr...

p.s. but I have to stop, because now I have an expensive house to pay.

Lynn said...

I'm actually not a fan of coach bags...the white one was my first one along with the red wallet, and the blue one was a gift from adam. one of the wristlet was a gift, and the other one was on sale for $16, so I HAD to buy it...i'm really not proud of owning coach :P

You should take pics of ur bags you wanna sell and maybe i can buy them off of you to help fund for your house :P

kingkao said...

Not proud of wearing coach -- That means your not proud of Adam -- lol