Friday, August 8, 2008

About my footwear

This is going to be a very very shallow entry, so please just skip it.

I have small feet, at least by North American standard, which makes it impossible for me to buy shoes on sale.

Anyway, to make a long story short, after a long and arduous search yielding no results, i discovered a solution to my dilemma: http://www.aldoshoes.com
They list all their inventory across the country and you can search by size. Flat rate of $5 shipping fee. I ordered two pairs of shoes on Wednesday and they arrived Friday. Crazy, eh? You have up to 1 year to return them to any Aldo store in Canada too (unworn of course!)

So those two are the only black cork wedged heels that were in my size in all of Canada and I couldn't decide between them. So I bought them both, believing that I'll return one of them. But now I got them, I can't decide!!!

The left one is $40 and really cute but the right one is $20 and really comfortable.


When I ask people about my shallow dilemma, people either vote for the comfortable one or nicer looking one, which doesn't really help me with my dilemma. Plus, I figured if I'm going to keep the expensive one, then whats the point of returning something that's only $20?

But how can I justify keeping two pairs of shoes that look almost exactly identical??????

I decided to make a list of the shoes i own in order to make me feel guilty:

Sandals
  • Brown cork wedge heel (my fav!)
  • Yellow straw wedge heel i got from shanghai
  • Black/Pink puma flip flops
  • White strappy stiletto heel
Pumps
  • Black Sling back open-toe high heels
  • Black pointy toe stiletto
Casual
  • Pink Nike Air Max
  • White Nike Zoom
  • Pink Puma
  • Brown Sauber suede Puma with blue and red accent
  • Black and white classic suede Puma
Boots
  • Black calf-high scrunch stiletto heel
  • Brow knee-high wedge heel
  • black ankle-high chunky heel
Old Shoes (ones i don't really wear)
  • black square-toe platform heel
  • black square-toe chunky heel
  • Black platform sandals
  • black strappy low heel sandals
  • Red platform running shoes
  • gold strappy low heel sandals
  • green slip-ons
Nick says I should just keep these shoes because they are so cheap anyway. But do I really need two pairs of shoes that looks identical??

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are right dear !! Always got great deal each time when I shop at Aldo for a new shoes.

Anonymous said...

well since it's not worth returning the pair that's 20, your real question is, should you return the pair that's 40 given that you're keeping the one that's 20...

Lynn said...

haha, therein lies the core of my dilemma and where the guilt began eating me away

kingkao said...

This is stupid. The $40 one looks way better then then $20 one, but they are totally different shoes. The cork grain on the left is so nice with an old world feel. It looks nice on a nice stroll through a cobble stone market. The knot and seems more satin-ish. The right one has a more industrial look with the cleaner lines and pins. The fat strap might make your foot look fat. It seems to have a bulky shape.

Fashion aside. Why would you return a $20 shoe. If you were to separate the shipping cost proportionately. The shoes would cost $43.33 and $21.67. You already have a sunk cost of $1.67, not to mention you saved on PST because of the online sale. Considering sunk costs and savings on PST, keep the damn cheap shoe. You never know when they'll break.

Lynn said...

that was
the
most
awesome
comment
EVER

you are right about the style, the second one is a retro 80s style with the hardware on the side, which i am not a fan of. I was, however unfortunate, still taxed on PST for the first shoe, but that the second, so they were insanely cheap.

nevertheless, your comment was too late cuz i ended up returning it 3 hours ago on my way to the Toronto Ref. library. the reason is mainly because i will never wear them and that they are cluttering up my closet. Adam also thinks they are ugly and tells me he doesnt like them.

so the first pair ended up costing me $49 after tax and shipping and everything.

now i feel stupid.