Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Lynn's Restaurant Rec's

It's been a while since I've been out and about trying out fancy restaurants. But I often get asked about recommendations on restaurants, especially nice and romantic ones when there's a need for celebration, because I do eat out a lot. and I'm really picky with my food. I decided it might be useful for me to make a list in case next time someone asks me and I blank out. These are the ones I can remember for now. Will update as I remember.

Over $100 for 2
Barbarian Steakhouse: Their steak is amazing. No wonder they have existed since 1959.
Morton's Steakhouse: Steak and Tiger shrimp is too delicious to be true. They also have a special show for you if it's your first time there!
North 44: The definition of contemporary fusion. Their food is delicious and the menu is constantly changing. Love Love Loved it!
Sotto Sotto: They're not lying when they say that they're Toronto's most romantic getaway. Food is awesome too!
The Boiler House: The bathroom is pretty cool looking, but their food is even better!
Fisherman's Wharf: Small and romantic and best seafood in Toronto. Gotta get their platter!
Ki: It's not exactly fusion, but it's Japanese food with innovation. You thought you knew how to eat tempura until you try theirs with Wasabi Garlic Cream dip.
Courtyard Cafe*: I walked out of there feeling like crap because I couldn't stop eating!
Wildcraft: This one is in Waterloo and owned by the Charcoal Steakhouse, definitely a rare find in a poor university student environment.

Under $100 for 2
The Keg: One of my all-time favourites. I have been to so many fancy shmancy steakhouses that doesn't beat the Keg! Best locations have been the Keg Mansion and the one on York Mills. Don't go to the one in Waterloo!
Akasaka: When I'm being difficult and don't want to eat anything, a Tempura roll from Akasaka makes me happy. It's in Richmond Hill though,
Fifth Element: Who knew toned-down Indian food can taste good? They fused it so it's no longer about the spice, but about the exotic taste!
Fred's Not Here*: The only place on that King West strip that actually had good food.
Le Biftheque: Unfortunately they closed down the one they had in Markham. But their steak is one of the few comparable the keg.
Reservoir Lounge: One of my favourite places in the world. A jazz lounge that's perfect for a date. Not really meant for having a big dinner, but their food is really good. Must order their martini!
del Dente's: This one is also in Waterloo and owned by Charcoal group but a lot more affordable. Their pot bread with the dips is so good that you forget you still have to order!

Casual DiningFriday night and you want to go somewhere nice to eat without spending too much money usually equates to going to chained restaurants you can find in malls. The following are ones I really like (not all are chained):
  • Hot Spot Cafe (Church and Wellington)
  • Hey Lucy (King and Spadina)
  • Restoran Malaysia (Bayview and Major Mac)
  • Day and Night Firewood Steakhouse (Steeles and Brimley)
  • Milestone's
  • Baton Rouge
  • Moxxie's
  • Spring Roll's
  • East! (owned by Spring Rolls)
  • Cheesecake Factory (all over the States)
  • Regina's Pizzeria (Boston)
Good food without ambianceCheap restaurants that gives me cravings

  • Hanabi at First Markham Place
  • Congee Wong at Leslie and Finch Location
  • Pho 88 on Spadina or the one in Bamburgh
  • All Stars wings at Woodbine and 16th
  • Lin Garden at Pharmacy and Sheppard
  • 3-6-9 at Peachtree Plaza on Kennedy and 7
  • Salad King by Ryerson
  • Behn Thanh in Waterloo
  • The Gourmet Dumpling House in Boston

Overly hyped fancy disappointments:The following are disappointing strictly because the food just don't taste as good as the $1-200 you put down (money can taste good, ok?). Sometimes you should still go there for the ambiance, view, or status.
  • Canoe
  • Harbour Sixty
  • Oliver & Bonacini
  • Coco Lezzone
  • Spezzo
  • La Maquette
  • Marcel's*
  • Ali Baba (Waterloo)
  • The Space Needle (Seattle)
  • RockSalt (Seattle)
  • Moo (Boston)



*Summerlicious menu was the one I tried

2 comments:

kingkao said...

Very nice compilation of restaurants not to mention that is quite a list of over $100 for 2. >_________> Maybe I will try one if I am on death row, I'll order take out from there for my last meal.

Lynn said...

lol
oh come on!
annual anniversaries with kim?
adam's been to half of them not with me!