Sunday, August 17, 2008

Customs Adventure

Visiting Adam is always trouble when it comes to explaining my reason for visiting to American customs.
Q: Where are you going?
A: Seattle
Q: What's your profession?
A: Student
Q: What's the reason?
A: To visit my boyfriend
Q: How did you guys meet?
A: School. He goes to school in waterloo, he's just doing an internship there.
Q: How long will you be staying there?
A: A week.

I think the answer visiting my boyfriend always raises a red flag with the American customs cuz they wanna know why you have a boyfriend in the U.S.

Sometimes you run into some weirder questions, like how are you paying for your ticket, etc. and, in spite that I'm pretty used to it, every time I go through customs, they always manage to ask a new question that makes me feel uncomfortable.

On Saturday, when I got off the little plane from Vancouver to Seattle, there were a group of customs officers standing at the airport way waiting for us to get off the plane and ask us questions (even though we all already went through customs in Vancouver).

After seeing my passport and asking me the usual questions that customs asks me, she proceeded to ask me some more piercing ones.
Q: When was the last time you were in the states?
A: May
Q: How long were you here for?
A: a week
Q: Do you work?
A: Yes
Q: Where?
A: at a software development company
Q: Are you a programmer?
A: No, I'm a technical writers.
Q: Did you go to school for that?
A: No....
Q: Then how did you get your job?
A: Erm...well i still go to school, part-time grad student and part-time employee....

I know i didn't answer her question, i should have told her through my coop position while i was in undergrad, but the question really caught me off guard, since there's not technical writing school that i know of...but regardless, the officer proceeded to ask the officer next to her whether they should check my bags.

The officer same up to us and said, "she's visiting her boyfriend?" and the 1st officer said yes. He then pulled out his cell phone , opened it so he's ready to dial, and asked me if I have his phone number. I was so surprised but i went to pull out my cell phone from my bag and explained to him that he has a seattle number. With my gesture to take out my cell phone, he said, all right, and said I can go. The experience felt so daunting. Like I felt so uneasy the whole time, which is really weird because it's not like I was doing anything wrong. Had they opened my carry-on, all they would have found was a suitcase filled with pure clothes because i put all my non-clothes in my checked-in luggage (which really included my dryer, my hairbrush, my shampoo, etc.) as I'm afraid of losing my luggage again and losing all my nice clothes. It's funny how no matter how innocent you really are, when you are put under this type of spotlight, you still feel scared regardless. Human nature?

1 comment:

kingkao said...

lol. That is funny. They probably feel like they trafficking Taiwanese people.