Saturday, April 19, 2008

Define: Home

In January, I moved downtown. I found a beautiful unit in the condos 5 minute walk from my work, across from the distillery. The place is beautifully furnished, I have the master bedroom with an ensuite bathroom, the apartment has an ensuite washer and dryer, and the rent is $850 all inclusive (internet and cable). I can't tell you how much i love the place...but now I'm moving again.

With my part-time schedule and me being at waterloo everyday, there's really no reason for me to spend $850/month; I'm only there about one or two days a week, a wknd at most. I recently signed a lease in Waterloo, at the Westcourt Estates. It's an unfurnished townhouse and I'll be sharing the place with a 2-3 other people I know, depending on the term.

It's a bit scary to know that i'll be spending the next 12 months in this dumpy town that i've always hated. In the past, the most i've ever spent in Waterloo was 8 months consecutively, most of the time it was 4 months due to coop, but I'd be back in Toronto every weekend and it never feels like Waterloo was "my home". home was in Toronto, with the fam. But when I moved out in January, home for me was my apartment downtown and now Waterloo will be my "home", at least for the next year. I'll be back in Toronto at least once a week to be in the office, and i'll probably stay in the GTA with my family on most wknds if school work permits, but the feeling is still the same. As much as I hate the thought, home will be Waterloo because it will be my own place with all my clothes and whatnot there.

No, I probably won't relocate to Waterloo permanently after I graduate, but where will i be? I have no idea. That's probably the even scarier thought.

No comments: