Wednesday, December 3, 2008

On being a dumb human

For a person who spends most of her time making fun of other people and calling people names, I never thought I'd be the one who scars someone's impression of a human being.

I went to the MC Coffee and Donut shop to get a cup of coffee and they recently got a new set of cups. Instead of using styrofoam now, they use the Van Houtte paper cups but they still continue to use Dixie lids. There were a lot of things that could have stopped me, such as remembering from my donut shop experiences that most cups come in standard sizes, but my sleepy haziness got the best of me.

After trying to fit every size lid on my cup, I was thoroughly convinced that none of the lids fit. The large is too small and the jumbo is too big. Adam tells me to push the jumbo lid down, and I told him I did and it still didnt fit. I even saw a cup next to me with a lid too small on top.

I went to bug the cashier to tell her the lid doesn't fit and being the FOB that she is, she keeps telling me the lids are on the side. After much frustration, she got up to get the jumbo lid and put it on top of my cup and left. I was really frustrated.

"But it doesn't fit!" I called out to her.

She comes back and pushes the lid down into the cup...and voila, it fit.

I felt so stupid.

9 comments:

Wonder Mon said...

Oh Lynn how I miss you :)

kingkao said...

O god. It is people like you that make working in the service industry so fucking annoying. You got off easy. If it was me, I would of been like "give me the cup, I'll try to find a lid that fits in the storage area" take the cup, piss in it in the back room and give it back to you.

Being the FOB that you are, you sure are dumb.

Anonymous said...

Wow.
This reminds me of the time,
- you tripped on nothing
- you slipped on nothing
- you fell up the stairs

And the list goes on.

:)

Oh how those were the days.

Anonymous said...

That might just be one of the side effects of being a grad student... I guess you become dumber and have less common sense?! lol

Lynn said...

M: I miss you too! you should totally come back to loo to visit and we can reminisce and harass lil kids in Rev!

E: That was unnecessarily mean! maybe the story is a way to remind us that we are all human and mistakes happen; therefore we should all take a breath next time someone does something dumb and let it go instead of complaining :P easier said than done tho :D

F: I miss you. what happened that day u were supposed to be in loo? i never got a call from you!

J: i think it's just a side effect of being lynn. did you find better houses the second day?

Anonymous said...

Yup we found a place!!! I'll post pictures as soon as I'm back in Toronto. BTW, I forgot to ask you.. there is a departure party for me and Stephane on Dec 19 at our friends' place. I've invited a bunch of people and it's just going to be an informal house party. Do you think you can make it? (it's at Danforth and Vic Park, close to our house)

Lynn said...

yup!! i'll make it!!

kingkao said...

Wrong. Mean is wasting other people's time. Mean is arguing with someone who persistently telling you otherwise who sees the same cups and lids every day. Mean is not pushing down on the lid and hypothetically if she was wrong, letting someone else be wrong, cause you would not give her the same chance to be a dumb human cause she is a stupid fob. That is mean.

This is not about being dumb. This about being bratty and ignorant.

This is hypocrisy. Its easy to get mad at a 'barrister' messing up a fucked up coffee with the milk and cream all sitting right or what not, but you won't even push down on a damn lid.

Lynn said...

let's clarify:

1. i'm never rude to ppl when they mess up my stuff, most of the time i just sulk and complain to adam because i dont get to enjoy whatever i paid for. my post about my drinks being messed up was trying to figure out how to best order it.

2. the girl didn't speak english. i wanted to know why the lids dont fit. but all she kept replying to me was "they are over there" over and over again.

3. being mean is like being right and saying it in an unpleasant way. i was not being mean to anyone. actually, now you're not being mean anymore either. by adding your own, and false, assumptions to a story so you can condemn a person to be mean and hypocritical, ur just looking to step on people without a legitimate cause.

i made a mistake, i felt bad, i wrote the story to confess it. i can't see how i am being mean or hypocritical.

like i already told you,

...the story is a way to remind us that we are all human and mistakes happen; therefore we should all take a breath next time someone does something dumb and let it go instead of complaining...