Thursday, July 15, 2010

Technology Overload

Last night, I reformatted my Netbook from XP to Windows 7, with negative help from the boyfriend. Kudos to Microsoft, and technology in general nowadays, for making everything so dummy-friendly. Actually, to be fair, I gotta thank my brother who managed to provide me a uber copy of windows that had every edition on a formatted usb flash and all I needed was a product key. If I had to format my usb key into an hdd I don't know if I'd ever reformat...

It's funny though: I bought my netbook right before I went back to Taiwan so I can bring it everywhere with me. I left my darling VAIO at home for my mom, gave back the XPS to Oculus and I was left with this tiny little thing that lags when I (used to) play Restaurant City. Not to say that it didn't serve me well while I was in Taiwan, but by the time I got to Boston, the netbook was left in the tiny apartment corner and only taken out when we felt like streaming something to watch in bed, which was very rare.

To be honest, the Netbook lost its glamour when we each got a Blackberry. The BB is no iPhone, in that surfing the net is not "ideal", but it serves its purpose for FB, twitter, google map (!!!), whenever we need to look up life trivia, and, of course, definitely for E-mails and messaging.

So after I installed all the necessities back onto my netbook, I looked at its pretty face and wondered when will be the next time I'm going to use it; all the while, Adam is sitting next to me YouTubing videos of basketball players and cars on his iPod Touch.

And here it is.

Between Adam and I, we EACH have:
  • a work desktop,
  • a work laptop, and
  • a blackberry;
Together, we have:
  • a new Dell Studio desktop,
  • a Netbook,
  • and an iPod Touch.
How many other ways do we need to be connected to the interwebz?

Seriously, we have no need for more machines. We can't even find a use for the desktop and netbook at home anymore. We thought about hooking the desktop up to stream movies on TV but it was too much work, both setting it up and actually using it (on top of that Netflix and HD channels provide an over abundance of entertainment). At this point, even my mother has more machines than she can use (my leftover desktop and laptop and my brother's leftover desktop...)

Adam and I have been thinking about getting a Mac (iMac? MacBook? Mac Mini?). One can argue that getting a Mac is not about purpose, but just about keeping up with technology...right?

I think they should rename our generation to generation spoiled.

But don't worry, we currently do not have the funds to purchase an expensive Apple item.


Oh, and I forgot to mention, most of the stuff I have is red...including my desktop that's not pictured here.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

After I moved back to TO and bought a desktop (with a nice 20" screen) my netbook was set away, rarely touched. UNTIL, my friend came to visit for two weeks and I gave her the study room that I started using my netbook again. I soon discovered why I loved it in the first place. It is so small and easy to carry that I can bring it everywhere with me (most importantly, the washroom. Yes, I can use my iphone but if I feel like watching a video in the bathroom, netbook it is)

The most common thing I do now is I watch videos on my nice big screen while I do some work (i.e. upload photoso, write my blog) on my netbook. As for my iphone? I use it to check e-mails while my photos are being uploaded and while I'm busy watching videos! :D

Lynn said...

HAHAHAHAHA
+1 on the bathroom thing!!

I have done the watching the video thing on my netbook while doing work on my bigger screen (I hook up my work laptop to my monitor when I work from home. But i always end up not paying attention to whatever it is i'm watching and i have to re-watch it again.

i wonder if we can do this uber multi-tasking project using one machine with two monitors. Video on one screen, work on another, and email notifications from outlook. but i guess you will need a pretty strong processor and a lot of ram...so having three machines is the expensive, cluttered, but easiest way to do it.

i think i just feel that my life is too cluttered, which is what spawned this post.