Monday, October 25, 2010

Blog

Although I don't blog as much as I used to, which was a few times a day in high school and undergrad and a few times a month at Oculus and during grad school, my online activities has only increased. On the right column, you can still see my rarely updated twitter, my often updated yelp reviews, my whereabouts on my calendar and people's blogs i do follow.

It's probably better this way because my blogs used to have what I thought was better content, but since I've finished school and am on the full working life, my thoughts and my writing have been devolving into series of unfinished thoughts and superficial posts that doesn't entice me to look back and re-read my entires. At least the conversations I have and re-post here I still find amusing.

For a while, I played with the idea that perhaps the (not-so) newly lack of blogging is a reflection on the emo-teen years everyone goes through. It's true that the older you get, the less you seem to want to release all your pent up emotions from your puberty-induced hormones by some form of self-expression. And maybe it IS that I no longer NEED to write, and therefore I don't. But I do miss writing and and the analysing that comes with it. Hopefully, I will make the effort to find the time again some time down the road and practice writing things that are more observational, and if i'm lucky, insightful.

And...this is what happens when I sleep all day and wake up at 2am PST/5am EST...

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Same here, I've noticed the longer I've been a blogger the less I write about anything involving self-expression. Not sure if this has to do with me getting older.. probably more to do with too many real-life friends & families reading my blog hence no more person stuff. haha

p.s. I use plurk religiously now, which is a bit like twitter.. that also eliminates the need to blog. But I still write from time to time, seeing how I'm ALMOST at the million-visitor mark, I have to at least get there :P

Nick said...

huh, never realized that calendar was there; it's a pain trying to figure out which time zone you're in without it.

btw, i'm flying sea to bos the day you fly out to berlin. lame.

kingkao said...

This is not the case for me. I stopped blogging not because of my lack of thoughts, ideas, rambles. I have stopped because I have to purposely censor myself because employers are googling me.

I think once I get a job, I'll be back on it and hating on everything again.

Start blogging more, you have all the time in the world and life needs your perception.

Lynn said...

You know what you're saying Elvin, really makes me wonder. No one in my company that hired me actually looked me up when i was hired..they had no idea about my website. I had this discussion with Adam earlier too...is it really better the less you put out there the chances of getting hired is more? I don't put anything crazy out on the web about me, and I can't imagine people thinking that I'd be a bad person to work with if I were hired. But Adam keeps saying you never know.

kingkao said...

You never know. When I look at my stats on my wordpress I can see what people are looking at and what they are clicking on. From the patterns of people, I think I know what kind of person is looking. I think there are recruiters out there that would do a google search. But your website is pretty obscure. Lynnism is pretty messed up. I just blatantly put my name on everything. I sort of don't care much about privacy. I am sure there are a bunch of stuff I would look back on and be like, why the hell did I write that, but, oh well.

I should really think about some of the stuff I type, just the way I should think about the stuff I say. So remember, when you put something on the interwebs, you are writing with a pen -- with a world with no whiteout.