Monday, October 27, 2008

Declaration of love

This will be a post declaring my love....for Starbucks.

I'm very particular about my consumption in general, I tend not to eat, drink, purchase goods that I don't like. If I'm in a restaurant with others and I don't like the food, I'll end up not eating very much. I explain it like this: A girl has a quota for the food she consumes--she can only eat so much. So I gotta use up the quota carefully, especially since I'm such a foodie!

I'm also very picky with my coffee and my usual drink at Starbucks is a Grande Caramel Americano (*HINT HINT*) and I hate it when they add too much water and dilutes the flavour. (Remember my post about the relations between size and shots of espresso?). So every time I go to Starbucks I always tell them this in different ways but they almost always mess up my order no matter which location I'm at.

  • First time I asked for it "with room...err..not too much water," I got the response, "you mean less water." And I still got too much water.
  • Second time I said it with "less water" and I got the response, "you mean with room." And I still got too much water.
  • Another time I decided to try it with "can you put it in a tall cup for me?" and I was told that i wanted a "Triple tall Caramel Americano BUT that will cost more so I'll just charge you Grande Caramel"
  • Another time I tried "easy on the water" and I got the response "you mean light on the water."

There was maybe one time or two times when I the barista actually asked me as they added water to tell them when to stop (i think both at the King and University location <3).

The best, or worst, time was when I was at the John and Woodbine location and the girl gave me actual gooey caramel that doesn't dissolve when i asked for it with "easy on the water". Adam was smart enough to coerce me to go back and ask for a proper one (since normally I just sit in the car and bitch for 30 minutes and then pawn the coffee off for him to drink instead). The Asian guy who was so amazing and so cute not only fixed it for me but, totally getting why i ask for less water, asked me if I wanted an extra shot. When I said no, he said "are you sure?" with a mischievous grin (I swear I thought I saw a wink) and I couldn't help but say yes (not to say that I didn't like the fourth shot of espresso and drink the whole thing down ecstatically euphorically).

So yes, despite all the wrong orders, my love for Starbucks continues to be undying. Although not all the store is consistent, for the most part, they have really good service. Mike Tran's girlfriend Janet recently started working at the Chapters on King location and loves it there. But we all know now that the best location is the one on Woodbine and John..heheheheh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a foodie and I hate bad food.. but I am also awful at telling people about it. I tend to just eat my food, period. But I think I'm going to start being honest.. when I was at Whistler this summer, I mentioned to the waitress that the poutine I had ordered was way too salty (I barely touched it) but everything else was great. She took it off my bill and told me she thinks it's too salty too :P

Lynn said...

haha, yeah i hate complaining about food to the ppl who make it for so many reasons. 1. people around you get embarrassed, annoyed, think ur picky; 2. the waiter might spit in your food.

my mom loves sending food back and i think its the most annoying thing in the world. Unless something is really bad, i usually keep mums.