Friday, November 21, 2008

My Broken Heart

IMG_0686My dad and my brother have always been fans but I've never really followed basketball. I recall going to my first rap's game in high school because I ran into Celane on the bus who had an extra ticket and ditched my friends with whom I was supposed to go to the movies. I don't even remember who we were playing and what went on at the game since I only went because I've never been to a basketball game.

When I did start sort of started to follow basketball, it's always been a ride on the bandwagon. I bought a game package for someone over Christmas two years ago and I went to one of the games. Later that year, helping Chet scalp playoff tickets with Andrea earned us a free game at the playoffs. I did follow the rest of that series, which we ended up losing to the Nets in round 1. I watched the playoff games with everyone last year too.

n122607803_31348962_2245I think this year is the only year that I've started following the Raptor's since the beginning of the season. I sat through most of the games with Adam, watching as we win and lose. I went to the the game against the Heat last wknd at the ACC and it was so frustrating to watch a game with us leading in double-digits then having the Heat take the lead. Fortunately, we ended up winning that game. Today's game was even more frustrating. Fifteen points lead and then we went overttime and LOST the game? I hate the Nets. I really do. And the Raptors has really got to stop teasing me like this.

But melodrama aside, which is really not my point for this post and is taking me really long to convey, what I want to say, actually, is how much i hate getting emotionally attached to a sports team. Right now, I have been following the Raps not only because they are the Toronto team, but also because I actually really love watching most of the players on the team (alright...mainly the latest starting lineup). But like, what I mean is, when I'm watching the game, I get excited when Bosh makes a good play, when Parker steals a ball, when O'Neal rebounds, Calderon makes a good pass...you get the point..., but I also know that, regardless how the season is going to end, the team is most likely not going to stay the same. I find it difficult to understand how Adam can follow Ford and call him his favourite pointguard but then completely not following up on him after he gets traded. How do you negotiate your identification with a team vs. your attachment to a player?

I understand why ppl like Jordan regardless of the team he's on (because of his ability to play). I can also understand why ppl still dislike Carter even though he's still a good player (because his ethics sucks). But what i dont understand is how you can like a player on a team you also like and then not like the same player after he gets traded. And if your emotional attachment lies with the team, then how do you explain the large number of people who stop supporting a team because it has horrible players that are constantly getting traded? I know everyone has different reasons for who and what they support. Harvey says "you should have a criteria for liking a team" and that he "like[s] teams that play basketball the right way", which denotes that he likes basketball for the sake of the game itself, but you know, that seem to also connote that he likes a team when they plays well, which takes away the whole aspect of "loyalty". But he's gonna be a lawyer soon, so what more can you expect?

At any rate, although I was never an advocate for blind loyalty, I think for the time being, I will continue to follow the Raptors even though Harvey's says my "emotional attachment has been misplaced". I'm from Toronto and I think we have some great players on the team. There. Leave me alone. And stop breaking my heart Raptor's.

n122607803_31348955_9958
IMG_0683n122607803_32461836_5067


ETA: Tal found this--Rules for being a true fan, scroll down to loyalty (rules 18 and 19)

4 comments:

some grad student said...

Ha I thought you were too rational to get excited :)

Anyway, I always cheer for my favorite players, like I cheered for Zidane as he moved from Juve to Real, even though I hate Real. Or how I'll cheer for Bob Sanders, even when the Colts play the Pats, although that just makes it one damn hard game to watch.

The point is I think being attached to a team makes the games a lot more exciting to watch.

MC said...

Personally, I always hated Carter, even when he was here (Tal can attest to that).

I don't necessarily think you "like them when they're here, and you hate them when they leave"... I think it's more like you LOVE them when they're here, because you see them all the time and you know they're doing something that's indirectly FOR you. Then you become indignant (right word?) when they're gone, because they're not really helping you out anymore. I don't usually see it turn into straight up hate unless they left on bad terms (Carter w/ his pussy whininess, McGrady because he wanted to be "the man", etc).

I bet $100 TJ Ford gets cheered when he comes to town.

Lynn said...

T: hence why im trying to follow the raptors and then not really understanding how this irrational attachment works

M: haha, i didnt mean that we'd hate them when they leave, but i dont really get how you stop loving them after they leave, though i totally get your point about seeing them every other day makes a big difference.

on another note, lol@ the fact carter and mcgrady are cousins...runs in the family!

some grad student said...

well, I'm glad you're exploring your emotional side :)

don't get down too much, though, it's just a game... although, I definitely had that weird feeling in my gut after the superbowl last year that lasted for two weeks