Wednesday, November 26, 2008

There's no place like home

13Going in to the office yesterday didn't turn out to be a mistake after all. In fact, although I hated having to wake up at 5:30am to take the Greyhound downtown, I really loved being back in Toronto...it is home. Doing something other than my paper was also a very welcoming distraction; I spent the whole day just working on the docs and looking at the application I haven't seen for so long.

But I think what I loved the most about going back to Toronto was the fact that it was...Toronto. A big city in which I grew up, in which everything is an toronto-bay-streetarm's length away: from restaurants to shopping centres to parks, from finance to transportation to entertainment, from neighbourhood to neighbourhood to neighbourhood. In the early morning, men and women, dressed in business suits and wool coats, are bustling about the streets with a coffee in one hand and a briefcase in another--the city is so alive with power. And in the evening, strolling up to the Eaton Centre, watching the city light up as the night falls, it all feels so...rhythmic and exhilarating.

I am a city girl. I love being in the big city. This is where I feel the safest, protected by the tall glowing skyscrapers, surrounded by the tireless parades of people, with each person rushing by you in lively steps, engrossed only in their own affairs...and yet, without missing a single beat. And this...this is where I get comfortably lost: beneath the buildings, among the crowd, within this silent vibrance.

68708749_2ecfcead71
I wish I was a poet so I can paint you a picture of how beautiful I feel when I walk alone in my big city.

5 comments:

MC said...

Plus, you know, it's nice when it doesn't smell like shit every other day.

I'm just sayin' is all...

Lynn said...

hahaha
are you allowed to hate if you're not even here anymore???

Unknown said...

I have a love/hate relationship with the city. By day, it's full of hustle 'n bustle, full of diversity and life. By night, it's like an annoying alcoholic you want to get away from.

Lynn said...

really?
i like the night a lot better, i think it's just cuz of the lights...lol
i can't wait to go back and walk around! christmas is awesome around yonge and dundas. i know you probably think im crazy!

do you work downtown during the day?

Unknown said...

It good at night as long as you keep moving! LOL! I work a bit north of downtown, so I'm not as close to all the craziness, which I'm glad. The Bay/Queen street area is nice too with the Bay's Christmas windows display.