Monday, November 10, 2008

That New Korean Restaurant

Over the summer, I noticed that Charlie's Lunchbox, one of the Korean restaurants at the university plaza closed down. I actually never went there when it first opened in my 4th year while it had really good food and service (so i've heard). By the time I went there last year, it was already sold to this really really old (in their 60s?) Chinese couple. The food was horrible and there was no one in there; needless to say, I don't miss it being gone.

Today, we had the opportunity to actually eat out (it's been a while!), even though we were limited to the university plaza. Since I hate all food Waterloo, I told Adam that we can pick between that new Korean restaurant opened in place of Charlie's or Meetpoint, a middle eastern restaurant that opened up two weeks ago because at least i know i don't already hate it before i walk in.

Honestly, I have no idea what the name of the new Korean restaurant is. Maybe "Ga Jeong" (I have trouble retaining names when I don't understand them). Anyway, as we walked by, Adam and I were excited because the place looked really busy and the picture signs outside showed authentic Korean food like pork bone soup and ganponggi.

To make a long story short, the wait was long but the food is amazing.

The wait (*/*****)
No, we weren't waiting to be seated because the restaurant was that busy; we were waiting to be served the whole time. When we sat down, we were given a menu after approximately 5 minutes. While we were looking over the menu, I went to get tea for everyone since the sole waitress was too busy. After 20 minutes of waiting for her to pick up our order sheet and menu, I took the stuff to the counter where two old Korean couples were poring over the bills for a big group of people (who have been there for at least 10 minutes trying to pay the bill). After we put our order in, it was about another 20 minutes before our order arrived. So total wait time was about 45 minutes before we got our food (maybe even longer). The waitress is also inexperienced and worked really slow but I'm not sure why the cooking takes so long too.

The food (****/*****)
Adam ordered "tonka", his friend ordered beef and vegetable stew, and I ordered kimchi and pork stew. Their food was definitely really authentic, i think even better than owl and minerva. The servings was ok but they gave really big servings of free appetizers that made us really full! Adam's tonka, which was similar to Pork Katsu or Chicken Schnitzel (basically battered and deepfried pork) except with this sweet and salty Brown Sauce squeezed over it, was really big in portion. My kimchi stew had really little pork that consists of a lot of fat and John's beef was non-existent. Good thing they all taste really amazing, even for Toronto standard (and we're talking waterloo food here!). The price is medium, about 6.99 for pork bone soup, 8.99 for the stew dishes and 10.99-12.99 for the galbi and bulgogi stuff.

Is it worth the wait?
Adam says it isnt and I'm still sitting on the fence. To some extent we got there while it was really busy. After we got our food, the place calmed down and ppl who came in then got their food a lot faster. But then it got busy again and ppl were not being served properly. There's a sign outside that is asking to hire waitresses so maybe if they had more experienced waitresses, the wait might be better. I'd definitely try my luck there again! I mean, come on, real good food next to the uw campus? what more can you ask for??

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that back then everyone thought Mr. Sushi (the one in the plaza, is it still there???) was amazing and cheap..... sure it was probably amazing by plaza standard. lol

Lynn said...

mr. sushi is still there but i think it changed owners a long time ago. i remember when we used to go there first year, it was on an honours system. it's really different now. the sushi is ok i guess....i ate there once last year and that's about it...nothing amazing :(

MC said...

Mr. Sushi was awesome back in the day. He used to give us free stuff. I remember once on Lunar new year the guy told us to come back at closing time, and when we did he gave us two whole bags of dumplings.

Best, guy, ever.

alex katayama said...

found it!