Saturday, December 7, 2013

My Marc By Marc Jacobs Classic Qs

Early 2012 as I sat at my desk feeling miserable from the winter weather, I decided I needed to buy a handbag. It had occurred to me that I just turned 28 and my holy grail was still a canvas Kate Spade bag from 2005. I deserved better!! I went online and started looking for bags I liked, going through Neiman Marcus, Saks, Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's website to see if I saw anything I liked. This was when I discovered the MBMJ Classic Q line and I loved the clean and simple lines. I took at look at the baby groovee and decided it wasn't my type, and then I saw the lil Ukita and began cross-referencing the bags on Google images and on PurseForum. Then I started looking at the Hillier and did the same and compared it to lil Ukita. After about a week or two of online search everyday, I finally decided that I wanted the Hillier. Except now I needed to figure out how to procure one.

At the time, I wasn't aware that the MBMJ bags go on crazy 40% off sales around November and December. What I did see though is that the 2011 price was marked up from $385 to $428 in 2013. So when I spotted one in creme from Neiman still priced at $398 I decided I will take the plunge. I asked around to see who is in the US and can bring it back for me because shipping to Canada means duty. Luckily I had a friend who was making a trip to Chicago so I had it expedited to the hotel there. After tax and expedited shipping the total came out to be about $441 USD. I see it online for less than $300 all the time now so it does hurt me a bit when I think about it. Nevertheless, I have to say that I really love this bag because the leather on this is really durable and it made me realize the difference between leather and canvas bags.



I believe when I first got the bag, I took a couple of pics of the bag but since my harddrive is broken right now and I don't have backups, I took some pics of it now in it's 2 year-old condition.  love the softness of the pebbled leather look. As you can see, the bag looks like it's a great condition after a year of regular use and I'm not the type to really take care of my things and the only rule I generally have with my handbags, regardless of their make and quality is that I never set it down on the floor. Personally I don't think it's a weird baglover's quirk because why would anyone set anything on the floor besides their shoes? If you put your bags on the floor, then you shouldn't be ever putting it anywhere else. I mean do you every put your dirty shoes on the chair or the desk? Would you ever set your coat on the floor whenever you take it off? Exactly.

I found some pics on purseforum of the me wearing the bag when I first got it in brand-new condition. I love how you can wear it on on your shoulder, on the side, cross body, and on your arms.


It's basically my go-to bag when I leave the house. I wasn't crazy about the neutral colour at first, but it's actually extremely versatile as I have a lot of brown coats and shoes.

My next MBMJ bag came almost a year later and within that year I bought no other bags (!!!). I was walking through Printemps with Caleb when I spotted the MBMJ Classic Q Karlie. It was red and in clutch form sitting on a shelf and it caught my eye as I walked by. I got up close to examine it and it had card slots inside and there' s a detachable chain to be worn cross-body. I was super impressed and really wanted one. And then I saw that the price tag was over 200 EUR! Knowing that this is an american brand, I decided the best thing to do was buy it online.

After a few weeks of browsing, at the end of November I found one in Carob Brown on sale on Barney's for the price of $159 - which is 40% off of it's regular $258. Also free shipping. The only Caveat is that Barney's only takes American credit card. I called in Nick to the rescue and after tax, the total was $172 USD.  I had it shipped to my office in the Bay area  and picked it up there in January when I had a meeting there.  I still owe Nick that money!

Unfortunately, I did not take pictures of it when I first got it so this is the condition after almost 1 year of regular usage.






When I first got it, I used it every day going to work. I have all my work stuff in my backpack and my money, phone, cards, and keys in this bag. It's pretty perfect for usage in Paris. I even brought it to Prague one time, although it doesn't hold enough and with a camera inside, it doesn't really close.



I haven't really worn it as a clutch, and I wanted to use it as a wristlet, so when I saw a bag that had a cross-body detachable wristlet hook, I bought this cheap bag for 10EUR and that bag ended up replacing this bag as my everyday bag because it held a lot more. When I went to Sweden for work and  wanted to bring my mbmj instead of a cheap bag, I took the wristlet hook and attached it here. You can barely see the colour difference.


To be honestly, I very rarely use this bag now and I don't really like the colour. I actually would prefer something brighter. Now that I bought my 7" Nexus tablet, none of these little bags is useful anymore. I'm considering selling this bag off and either getting the same bag in a different colour, or not at all. I like the idea that it's great as a clutch though, so I still need to think about it before I really part with it.

I would like to get something like this or in bright yellow or orange, but it might be too difficult to match as a clutch. We'll see.


No comments: