Saturday, December 7, 2013

My Salvatore Ferragamo Continental

As I had mentioned previously, my go-to wallet has always been compact tri-folds. When I was 20, Mike had gotten me a continental Guess wallet because he felt that it was more feminine. I didn't like anything about it - not the shape nor the monogram nor the brand nor the colour and I have never used that wallet. It wasn't until 2006 when I saw the Ferragamo Saffiano Continental that I was triggered slightly by the prospect of using one. Nevertheless there was no way I could have been able to allow myself to purchase a wallet that was $350+tax. At the time, my most expensive bag was the Kate Spade and it was cheaper than that wallet and I only paid for half of it. In 2007, when I was at the HK airport, I saw the wallet on sale in white and a part of me almost took out my credit card, but after wandering around the airport thinking really hard, I walked away from the deal.

I never forgot about the wallet and kept an eye on it after and showed it to Adam one time about my dream wallet when we started to date. I told him that one day, when I make enough money I will get this.

Thus, you can imagine how much I cried when I arrived in Boston in September 2009 when this wallet was waiting for me (along with a shiny red blackberry).







I have stayed true to this wallet ever since and has never bought or seen another wallet that I love as much as this one. The best part about this wallet is the fact that it is extremely durable. Regardless of how many times I have dropped it or spilled things on it!


Here it is after 4 years of daily usage. It's a little bulgy because EUR is all about change. But I think I can use this wallet forever.


The best part is that I often use it as a clutch for weddings and clubbing. Here's is one from Nov 2009 at a club. I was slouching :(

I recently checked the price of the wallet and the price has increased significantly. I think when Adam got it, the price was hovering at close to $400. Now on Neiman Marcus, this Salvatore Ferragamo Gancini Icona Continental Wallet is $550 USD before tax. The day I will need to replace this wallet will be a very very expensive day. I am almost considering getting another one when it goes on sale - just in case! Unfortunately this wallet almost never goes on sale, so I'll have to monitor Neiman Marcus on a daily basis and see what happens!

No comments: