Monday, March 16, 2009

My Telus Cell Phone(s)

I have a small dilemma. I own a crappy Motorola W385 that
  • Runs out of battery in approximately 1.5 days with no usage
  • Doesn't ring loud enough for anyone to hear
  • Also doesn't actually ring until the caller hears a second ring tone so people usually hang up by the time I pick up if I'm luck enough to even hear it.
Needless to say, I am a bad person when it comes to phone calls. I rarely pick up because I either don't hear it or the phone is dead. Sometimes, it dies while I'm talking. (BTW, Motorolas are horrible when it comes to battery life, don't get them). The reason why this is my phone is simple: i lost my phone a few times. I had to spend as little money as I can on a new phone every time thus I am left with Pay and Talk phones from Telus for $100.

It's been about a year-ish since I've had my W385 and I'm getting seriously sick of it. But as a CDMA user with a great company and a seriously cheap plan not on contract, I cannot buy a new phone as it will not carry over to Seattle. CDMA companies are mean like that. This means I either have to:
  1. Suck it up and use this damn phone for another 4 months-ish before I go to Seattle; or
  2. Buy a cheap second-hand phone.
But what is cheap? Is paying $30 for a phone that's was released 2 years ago cheap? That seems to be the going rate on Craigslist. Having used Samsungs, Motorolas, and LGs, I have to say that if I am to get a new phone that I have to live with for the rest of my life, I'd use Samsung. The one that I've had my eyes on since last year is the Samsung A720 and the cheapest one I found on Craigslist is $50 (silver), which, imo is still considerably expensive considering how fast the retiring rate for phones are these days. To be honest, I would like to spend <$30 on this second hand phone that I may only use for approximately 4 months before it gets thrown into oblivion, as no one I know uses Telus. Ironically, although Telus has discontinued this phone for a while now, I just saw it on its Pay and Talk website for $69.99 refurbished with a $50 activation credit (pink). So for $20 more, I can have an almost brand new phone rather than a second hand phone that I've been wanting for so long?

Hmmm.... Is it worth paying $69.99+tax for a phone I might only use for four months? My soon to be unemployed butt is unable to justify it.

All I know is that the next time I get a cell phone, be it in Seattle or Toronto, I'm going to buy an expensive Samsung phone I like and I'm not going to lose it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The buying an expensive phone part I can believe.

The not losing the phone part, not so much, haha.

Anonymous said...

I say suck it up and use your old phone for 4 months. You see with me, it doesn't matter what kind of phone I have.. I still rarely answer. LOL But I am biased because I also rarely answer my phone. I either forget to charge my phone and literally leave it completely dead for days, OR I hear the phone and by the time I find my phone under piles of clothes, it's already gone to voicemail.

Anonymous said...

ok I just realized my message reads weird. I repeated myself.. but oh well you get my point.

Lynn said...

H: I was like, who is H? And then I read the comment and I'm like, must be YOU, jerk! And then I'm like No Way, he actually commented on my blog?! He doesn't even reply to comments on his own blog :P Come online!!

J: I think you are totally right about not buying a new phone. I'll probably end up not picking up anyway. It also has to do with the fact that half of the time i'm in waterloo so i dont want to pick up due to long distance. i'll just suck it up...

Anonymous said...

К стати, лучший способ обезопасить себя от шпионских жучков - использовать Подавитель мобильной связи

Unknown said...

Nevertheless, the Motorola W385 is a great phone for the person who wants the KRZR style without the extra features. The Motorola W385 is a CDMA phone, so it can only be used in America and a couple of other places in the world. However, unlike the majority of other CDMA phones, the Motorola W385 lacks any 3G support, meaning that you are limited to data transfer using the much slower CDMA2000 data transfer network. The displays mounted on the Motorola W385 are nothing special. Small and cheap, like the phone itself, the main display on the Motorola W385 provides 128 pixels by 160 pixels and only shows 65 thousand colors. The exterior display is black and white. For more information visit Cash 4 Phones .