Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Going to Seattle

Hello -

Thank you for talking with us about opportunities at Microsoft. We appreciate your interest and the time you spent with us.

We have carefully considered your qualifications and skills. In light of our current opportunities, we will be pursuing other candidates whose background and abilities more closely match our needs at this time. If you have any questions, please contact your school recruiter.

Thank you again for your interest. We wish you success in your future academic and professional endeavors.

Sincerely,

College Recruiting



During reading week, maybe around Wednesday, I got an E-mail from College recruiters at Microsoft informing me that I had a pre-screening interview for PM, if I get it, I get flown to Seattle for the real full-day interview. Rather than spending the rest of the reading week in Toronto, Adam and I came back to Waterloo on Friday to study for the interview (for those of you who don't know, interviews for PM are full of logistic questions to test your thinking skills so studying for the format is pretty important).

Anyway, so after four grueling days of studying, I didn't get the position. Not that I really expected to get it, given my non-technical background, I'd really have had to impress them with my answers, which I didn't feel that I did. I was never really good with interviews.

In the last couple of months, Adam and I have been applying for jobs in Seattle, mostly tech writing positions, because of my current experience. I have not heard a single reply since. I joke around and tell people that when I get to Seattle, I will actually get to be a full-time bum. As great as that can sound, I've been told that it's only fun for the first week. My mom also shakes her head and wonders why I pursue a Masters degree and decide to do nothing with it.

Well, I mean, it's not that I really want to be a bum. Even without the recession, it wouldn't be easy for someone with a Master of English Rhetoric and Communications Design to find a job in the states that's willing to give you a working Visa.

So where do I go from there? Honestly, I don't really know. Did I mention I'm moving to Seattle...sort of? It's not going to be easy leaving Toronto to live in a city that really has nothing going for me, except for my boyfriend. And well, it's not even like I can be a resident there, since I would need a Visa to stay there longer than 3-6 months or something. No health insurance, no legitimate driver's license, you get the point.

In reality, I would imagine that I wouldn't be there for longer than three months, which is pretty long for someone without a job. Time only goes by fast when you have a job, and I've always had a job, since I was in grade 7. I can only imagine the fights that happen when Adam goes off to work in the morning coming home tired and I've been bored out of my mind wanting his attention. I can also imagine the nagging from him about different ways of finding a job and me lacking the motivation to look--it's not exactly encouraging when you don't hear replies. And the guilt of living off of someone else's salary. How will I get to go shopping and eat all the yummy food I'd like to try?

But even before that...what about the move? There will be no goodbye parties, obviously, since who knows how long I can actually be there for. And what about the packing? Am I going to get turned away at the border for packing too much? How much should I pack? Can't pack too much in case i get turned away. Can't pack too little cuz I don't want to cross the border too many times, and it'd be expensive.

It sounds like it's going to be stressful times. But then again, I've been pretty emo lately myself: that Microsoft interview had seriously drained my energy and then immediately afterwards I got incredibly sick despite no coughing and fever--just an extremely bad case of the sniffles. Can't breathe, can't focus, can't even get up from bed. Gotta get my life together again soon. In the meanwhile, gotta start on those papers I've been putting off and maybe start applying for jobs again.

Someone hug me.

*Edit: I just found out that a bunch of ppl from CS got rejected, so I feel a little better...I think...

14 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lynn said...

lol
i dont remember if i've even watched braveheart, but i'd much rather be in in school and poor rather than lack of things to do and poor!

but thanx for the pep talk :P

some grad student said...

Man, you don't want that PM job anyway! It's for people that like to BS a lot. oops, Adam might read this :D

Anywho, I'm sure you'll be able to find some work. What of Seattle did you get to see when you were there this summer? I had this rosy experience with the city and kinda fell in love with it. Well, not the uppity, yuppie east side (think where MS is located), but the city proper. The U-district probably being my favorite...

I'll leave you with this. I made a good friend there, so if you're going to be a full-time bum, even for a week, you guys should hang out. And she can tell you all about being a bum :)

Not that she is one or anything. Cheer up, one way or another things will work out for you. They always do ;)

MC said...

That just means you have 3 weeks to write a good book. = )

Lynn said...

T: yeah, i really didnt like the east side, and i did enjoy the parts of uvillage (+sushi) that i was actually there. i'm sure it'll be different living there too, we're gonna try to live in the d/t area, at least i'll have somewhere to walk to if i'm bored. who's your full-time friend?

M: MONTHS! not WEEKS. you really should have booked your trip for august!!

Anonymous said...

When are you planning to move? I'm coming back in June for two months, will I see you? As for packing... you know when we moved here, we each had two suitcases because our shipment wasn't arriving for another month, but I think I had enough clothes and things for at least 2 months, so yeah, start with two suitcases!

Lynn said...

i should be here in june. i applied for the TTT program for taiwan and even if i get accepted it'd be at the end of june before i have to leave. adam starts work at the beginning of august either way the earliest i'd be there is end of july. can't wait to see u!

some grad student said...

Well, my friend's actually not working at MS, which makes her more awesome, in my book. I don't know, I didn't get along with MS culture as much, but I do know some full timers there now that are pretty cool.

SO, anyway, this girl was a concierge at MS for a little bit, saving up money for grad school and now she's getting her masters in education. I'll figure out a non-awkward way to introduce you :)

Unknown said...

I think it's pretty brave, what you're doing. Taking a chance. Whatever happens, good on ya.

Lynn said...

t: what does one do as a concierge? how did you meet her? ur not gonna be in seattle any time soon though are you?

f: yeah, brave is the nice way for saying dumb. LOL...but yeah, the thought is "why not?" it'd be fun to hang out there for a little bit and see what happens, maybe my life will change 180, if not then lots of ppl hang out for three months after graduating while looking for jobs, right? right? RIGHT? :P

some grad student said...

She would just mingle with people coming for interviews and try to make them feel less nervous or something, which is how I met her. The funny part is that I'm the only intern/recruit that she ended up friends with. I feel special :)

And no, sadly I'm not. Maybe next summer. I loved it, personally, and would definitely like to go there again, but I have to stay at school and do research... :(

Anonymous said...

You'll do well wherever you end up, Lynn.

Lynn said...

haha, thanks alan. you're so sweet :)

Lynn said...

i should make this 14 comments :P