Thursday, June 5, 2008

Adventures at the Conveyor Belt Sushi

After work yesterday, Adam and I headed to the super cheap conveyor belt/rotating sushi joint in his neighbourhood.

A couple of years ago, while I was in Taiwan, I had a taste of what rotating sushi was like: conveyor filled with colourful plates that indicate ridiculously cheap pricing of the sushi, there is never an empty spot because any time someone takes a dish away, the spot gets filled by another dish, the dishes range from miso soup to tempuras to sushi/sashimi/maki to dessert to random things you have no idea what they are, and best of all, your eyes are always bigger than your stomach - you just keep grabbing dishes you want to eat and you don't even have time to eat them! Oh those Japanese!

After I came back to Canada, I made several attempts at the rotating sushi in Toronto. First time was with Andrea at a place near Bay and Wellesley. The selection was minimal and the price was ridiculous...$20 for lunch/person and we weren't even full. The second time was with Matt Chan, Ju, Lee, Mike, and them and we went to one close to Yonge and Wellesley. That was insanely expensive, there were like a variety of 5 crappy dishes, the conveyor was always empty, and we ended up at Salad King after spending $20 each.

And so, that brings us to Seattle, where I got the authentic rotating sushi experience replicated. Although the selection was not as crazy as it was in Asia, only limited to maki, sushi (no sashimi), edamame, and calamari, there was a good variety of each type and the conveyor belt was always packed with dishes. The price was really cheap too, $1.00 - $3.00 per dish. You can imagine how much sushi Adam and I had if our total was $23 before tax and tip.

That's me scowling at Adam for taking a pic of me while i was being a greedy glutinous pig, hording all the sushi without really thinking about whether or not I can eat all of that. If you look closely, there are three empty spots on the conveyor, that's all taken by me.

The ppl working there were pretty cool too. A bunch of young Asians playing around being really loud, you wonder if they have supervisors! There was a young mixed looking guy directly across from me making the rolls, he looked about 18-20 and he kept winking at me and making faces, every time Adam wasn't paying attention. I was kinda embarrassed and decided to fix my eyes on all the sushi, was wasn't really a problem. What's up with the west coast people? Adam's theory is that girls from the WC are so easy that the guys aren't afraid to randomly hit on girls, even if they have boyfriends. From the stories Jon told me in Cali, I think I believe that.

After the conveyor belt sushi, we went to Bellevue Square, a really big mall. Adam wanted to show me "The Container Store" but I was reluctant because I didn't want to go to a store that sold tupperware. However, I was wrong when I got there. Guess what they sell? That's right, every kind of storage container imaginable. The store was the size of a castle. Reminds me of Asia again with all these creative storage solutions!

After we got out of them mall, which closed at 9:30pm (what isn't better than Toronto here??), we went to the movie theatre in an attempt to watch SaTC. Unfortunately, Adam's prime card didn't give us discounts because we had to purchase the tix online first. Being the cheapasses that we are, we ended up at the grocery store again shopping for food. And because Adam is really annoying, he decided to take a picture of us at the grocery store. WTH.
=)

7 comments:

kingkao said...

You know we have the container store here in Toronto. You need to get out more...

Lynn said...

i dont think it's the same store! they dont have a location in toronto, i just checked! maybe they have something of the same concept? but i doubt it's the same size!!

kingkao said...

could of swore its the container store. o well. i will need to go by it again to see...

Yukiko said...

isn't the container store the BEST!?!?!?! =)

Lynn said...

hahahahaha. it was pretty cool! i wish i had my own apartment to decorate though. i couldnt bring any of the stuff back, so we just wandered around touching everything =P

Yukiko said...

There's actually a similar store in Vaughen called Storage. Have you heard of it?
It's on Hwy. 7 and Westen(or was it western?) It's in the plaza where it has Silver City.

Lynn said...

haha, i think that's the one elvin is talking about! i've never heard of it but adam and i are probably gonna go check it out when he comes back! Thanks yukiko!