Monday, June 9, 2008

Portland also rocks my world

Since Friday was movie night, Saturday was our road trip day. Adam and I woke up nice and early ("4 realz" this time) and headed down to Portland for some fabulous shopping since they have NO SALES TAX! We first made a pitstop in an outlet mall in Washington called Centralia Outlets, where they had a Nike Clearance Store that sold shoes for cheaper than your normal factory outlets! Adam got a pair of basketball shoes for $15 and he got me a pair of Nike Zooms for $35!! I almost wanted to get two pairs but I controlled myself..hehe..


After we got to the Woodburn Outlet a little south of Portland, Adam spent the entire day with me shopping! The thing is, on top of the no sales tax deal, even though I missed the Memorial Day crazy cheapness, I still found a lot of clothes for really good price, like a pair of jeans and a sweater at Guess for $32 altogether and two pairs of shorts at Aeropostale for $7! I spent about $65 at CK, which is the most we spent at a store, but it was still a good number of items for that price.

We left Woodburn at around 6pm (we got there at around 2pm) and then we headed down to Salem because we were looking for Air Force 1's and were told there was a mall there that would possibly sell them. After a longer than expected drive, we found the mall at this ghetto city center and it wasn't even that big. Of course, no AF1's. Nevertheless, what did end up making my day perfect was the restaurant we ended up going to after wandering around the downtown for a while.

So as the story goes, after being in Seattle and area twice, for a total of two weeks, we have eaten at many many fancy and not so fancy restaurants, including $150 dinner for Adam's bday at this placed called Rocksalt Seafood and Steak, as well as mid-ranged Indian, Viet, Thai places, and of course the Space Needle. ALL the restaurants in which I have dined have had food that were less than Waterloo Standard. How a city filled with rich techies have such low quality for taste is beyond me...err...perhaps the techie part explains it.... At any rate, McGrath's Fish House was awesome. Awesomely delicious and awesomely cheap for a fancy Keg styled Seafood restaurant. Two entrees, one pint of beer, and one strawberry lemonade totaled $35 (no tax!). The waiter was super professional too - a lot more so than those fine dining restaurants. If you are ever in the hood of Oregon, you should definitely check out that resturant.

We didn't get home until 1am, but the trip definitely marked my the last night in Seattle with a perfect finish...haha

3 comments:

Adam said...

you forgot to mention how hot those guess jeans make you look. i wish i could find jeans for $17 too...

also,

"4 realz"
"hood of Oregon"

bebe, who's teaching you to talk like that :@?

Nivekic said...

Metroseeq.com is a great way to find restaurant promotions in Portland. I live here and I use it often! I think it'll benefit you too!

Lynn said...

thanks kevin! i love your tips about getting e-tickets!