Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Contemporary Readings on the New Yorker

Reading Joyce's Dubliners is like taking a walk through the city of Dublin: we can see everything in Dublin in 1914 without having been there. Surprisingly, reading Alice Munro's Deep Holes on the New Yorker is like reading a Toronto-based present version of the Dubliners. It even references the Queen Street fire and the old BMO building at Union Statio subway stop.

I don't think I've read many of Munro's works...maybe one from a Cdn Lit class a few years ago but it evidently wasn't memorable enough for me to remember it at this moment. At any rate, seeing a Canadian author's work on the New Yorker got me excited and the story was more than a pleasant surprise on many levels.

Anyway, I'm finding that reading the contemporary short stories on the New Yorker really enjoyable. I love reading references about things that are happening in the real world right now, it makes you feel really connected to the stories.

Here's the link: http://www.newyorker.com/fiction

No comments: