Friday, July 11, 2008

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence

The title of this post is a quote from Oscar Wilde. Man I love him! Though of course that's not really the point of my post. The point, of course, is Wai and Yein's wedding.

Adam came back last last Friday so he can attend his favourite cousin's wedding on the next day (28th). Wai and Yein have been going out since they were in high school (8 years ago!) and they have been planning their wedding for like the last two years.

Given that it was the week after Rowena's wedding, there were definitely a lot of comparative comments in my head. However, since they were the only two weddings I've really ever been to, i don't really know what the norm is.

Row's wedding ceremony was held at a church in Markham early in the morning. It lasted 15 minutes and no vows. Her reception was at New Century Palace across from my house. YW's ceremony was held in Shangri-La, the same place as their reception, early in the morning as well, but it was like 2-3 hours long. Adam's sister was playing the piano for them and Adam's brother and his bro's friends played strings. Everything was white with blue accent to match their beach theme (whereas row's was white with gold accent. the decoration was eerily similar, so was the food).

The wedding party is on the left. Note Luke Perry on the very left. The right is the band getting ready for the ceremony.


They said their vows which made everyone cry and then performed a Sand Ceremony, as a representation for their nutial. After that was a small reception and the waiters carried around trays of finger foods. Then lots and lots of pictures and then the Chinese Tea Ceremony. And then more pictures.

The left is the Sand Ceremony and the right is Adam's mom's side of the family. Crazy, eh? He had uncles flying here from France and LA!



Here is a pic of Adam stuffing his face with finger foods. My boyfriend is so attactive. The other one is with Adam's family.



After the ceremony part was over, there was some time in between for both weddings, though a lot less for YW's cuz their ceremony was significantly longer. Adam and I arrived at the reception promptly because we were supposed to help out, but we didn't get to do much. I mainly just did the signing in for a while. The pic below is me and the girls at the front handing out seashells that directed people to their table. Each shell had a person's name and his or her table number. It's adam's cousins on my left and the bride's little sister on my right.


YW's wedding wasn't really big (280 compared to Row's 600), but required really crazy planning. The wedding party entered the reception like a show, the couple performed a dance for us that they practiced for days, Yein played a piano solo for Wai, and she changed like 4 times.

My pics will have to stop here because I haven't gotten all the pics from Wai yet. We took most pictures with his camera because Adam was one of the designated photographers. Which kinda explains the pic below ;)



How did YW's wedding make me feel? I felt like I wanted a wedding so I can wear all the beautiful dresses that Yein got to wear. But when I was looking through their planning folders and watching ppl stress out as things go wrong, and just the sheer number of people and amount of work required to plan a wedding like that, makes me really want to elope. Seriously.

Small wedding in Hawaii or something. Just immediate family. That would be nice.

No comments: